January is almost over and that soil is calling our name! We are so excited to have resident gardening expert, Jill of Whispering Willow Farm, to give us the scoop on all her favorite resources for seed starting! We hope you find this guide helpful and can't wait to hear all your gardening stories this year!
- Rareseeds.com (Baker Creek)
- Johnnyseeds.com (Great if you are ordering bulk)
- Check out your local co-ops, such as local feed and farm stores - a great way to support local business owners!
Trays are very important and there are many options you can buy. While we have some recommendations below, it really is a matter of opinion and what each individual likes best.
- Bootstrapfarmer.com (These are our all-time favorite and come with a 2 year warranty!)
- Boot Strap Farmer on Amazon:
Soil is very important so that you can provide your seedlings with all the nutrients they need to be able to jump start their life and become mature plants (they grow up so fast!)Just like with seeds, always check locally. This is by far the most cost-effective option. We also talk about a 3-part ratio of homemade soil that you can create on your own!
- Option 1—Jiffy 12 Qt. Organic Seed Starting Mix-G312-48H - The Home Depot
- Option 2—Miracle-Gro 8-Dry Quart Seed Starting Mix at Lowes.com
- Create your own mix - Check out this video!
As you can see, it doesn't take much to jump into starting seedlings - just seeds, trays and soil! We will be talking about a few extra items that are helpful such as garden labels, transplanting tools and a garden journal in the weeks to come - stay tuned.
Jill from Whispering Willow Farms